Jason’s Deli: Shift Supervisor ? Non-Exempt
Reports to: General Manager of the store
Prepared: July 1, 1998
The Shift Supervisor performs and/or supervises employees in the following job set-up positions: vegetable prep, fruit prep, salad bar set-up, front line set-up, back line set-up, meat slicer, catering prep, bread prep, project person and bus/dish set-up. The Shift Supervisor performs and/or supervises employees in the following job positions during a shift: sandwich maker, swing, chip & pickle (expeditor), end person, drink person, back line make, to-go expeditor, salad bar restocker, food runner, float person, bus person and dishwasher.
Education: The applicant must have either a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
Experience: To be promoted to this position, an employee must have worked for Jason’s Deli a minimum of 6 months.
Skills: Qualified applicants must be 18 or over, must be able to memorize basic job routines, must be able to read, write and communicate in English effectively, must be able to perform basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, counting change correctly, and handling, organizing and balancing money and credit card charge slips.
Health: An applicant who is currently infected with or has knowledge that they are currently infected with a communicable disease which has been determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services as one which is transmissible to the public through the handling of food will not be considered as a qualified candidate. An applicant must comply with the applicable city Department of Health regulations as well as Jason’s Deli’s dress code policies.
Essential Job Functions:
- The ability to stand for extensive periods of time.
- The ability to bend over, reach upwards or outward, twist, turn around, and climb up on ladders in a timely fashion.
- The ability to perform a variety of job tasks at a very rapid pace.
- The ability to perform job tasks repetitiously at a very rapid pace for extended periods of time.
- The ability to work in an environment with temperature fluctuations.
- The ability to use equipment including telephones, cash registers, calculators, knives, meat slicers, buffalo choppers, drills, mixers, can openers, scales, and dishwashing machines.
- The ability to lift very heavy objects with or without assistance.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Supervising employees in food preparation including the cutting, grating, and/or slicing of fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, breads, desserts, and party trays.
- Setting up the deli for dinner, cleaning up and re-setting the deli after a shift, closing down the deli after the dinner shift.
- Food service positions including taking orders in person or by telephone, cashiering, making sandwiches, chip and pickling, catering, expediting, swinging, running the end, running the oven, preparing drinks, preparing orders to go, restocking the bar, making food runs, and floating in all positions.
- Learning job positions functions and then being able to instruct others on how to perform those same functions.
- Supervise employees in the above job positions. Checks out employees at the end of shift to ensure completion of their daily responsibilities.
Secondary Job Responsibilities:
- Making food deliveries in an automobile to residential and commercial properties.
- Bussing tables and washing dishes.
- Cleaning projects which will require using chemicals to clean all areas in the deli, including moving equipment in order to scrub behind and underneath it, cleaning and wiping counters, walls, pictures, cabinets, and other artifacts, cleaning and scrubbing equipment including slicers, choppers, drills, knives, can openers, ovens, pots and pans, walk-in coolers, scales, racks and holmon ovens.
- Performing maintenance duties including standing on ladders to change light bulbs, to clean air vents, and to clean ceiling tiles, as well as other items.
- Daily organizing of products including lifting heavy orders of product, putting up heavy orders of product in the walk-in cooler and other storage areas, re-arranging product in the walk-in cooler and products at other display locations, arranging items in cabinets.
Statement of Performance:
The General Manager and his or her Assistant Manager will evaluate a newly promoted employee during the ninety-day introductory period. After the introductory period, the General Manager and his or her assistants evaluate performance on an o-going basis and salary increases are given at any time, as determined by the General Manager.
Statement of Totality:
This position will include any and all other essential and secondary duties assigned by management to ensure the proper functioning of the operations of the deli.